Thursday 29 December 2016

Thoughts constituting a Summary

This blog traces the journey of my understanding of a new place- Hampi, the Temple town, and maneuvers through the innocent eye, the initiated eye and the informed eye and their conflicts. It also celebrates the adventures of my expedition in this ancient land. 

At this point you'd expect me to make a declarative statement about Hampi- such as, 'Hampi is quite certainly the most magnificent place I have been to! I salute the architecture, the history, the culture- its all absolutely remarkable!'. Or, 'Hampi is a very disturbed place- my heart shudders at the thought of the greediness of the different stakeholders and the strife of the people'. 

But, after having lived through my nine days, I would say Hampi is just a place. Maybe not like any other. But, after looking at the place from near and afar and taking into account the history and current stories and situation, I simply have a deeper, cognitive understanding of the place. I am objective. Perhaps not completely, but to an extent I hadn't realized possible, and necessary.

And I reached this understanding after observing and listening, asking questions and interviewing, eavesdropping and overhearing, reading and watching, gleaning and picking up, staring and glaring, marveling and bemoaning as I walked and cycled through the rickety roads of this town of ruins and temples and tourists that is- Hampi.

No comments:

Post a Comment