Thursday 29 December 2016

Grasping for a Focus

And so I returned to Hampi, my detective kit full to the brim with tools I was certain would be essential, with my mind sharpened three, four times and my confidence in myself, the place and my method of inquiry bubbling.
The boat also seemed to bob confidently up and down the river in rhythm with the song in my head, and the sun seemed to be shining just the right shade of my mood. 

But as soon as I alighted, I seemed to hit a block. There I was, in this ancient land brimming with mystery, chronicles, architectural marvels and secrets to unearth- and here I sat, next to the water tank in Virupaksha Temple with the pages in my journal blank. 
When the others started telling me about all the people they'd talked to, I suddenly became aware of the people around me and the inhabitants of this place- the Indian devotees, dressed up in their best for worship, the 'Hippie' tourists with their sunglasses and their cigarettes, the clingy tourists and guides, and the local shopkeepers desperate to sell their wares. But there seemed to be a bubble around me. I didn't dare go near them- trying to convince myself that it was too early to start talking to the people. I told myself I'd start after I knew precisely the questions I wanted to ask them. 

So I sat in my corner, next to Lord Naagini, marinating in my hesitation. 
Finally, after walking around aimlessly for a bit, a shred of inspiration hit my right by the behind of the Monolithic bull. 
Hastily sketching types of pillars
My indecisiveness with picking a subject to research

The pillars- which had tugged my fancy even the previous days while we rushed through the structures. Something about the joineries and the variety in shapes interested me- and it was a straw to grasp at while everyone else seemed to be so certain about their areas of inquiry. 

I went back having collected a few sketches of some pillars, still feeling quite uninspired and hoping for better the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment