Thursday 29 December 2016

The Stripping away of Apparent Beauty

It was my sixth day in Hampi, and I was determined to get some real information.

 I had a new area of interest- when I’d gone to Vitthala temple the previous day, I’d seen the deteriorated condition of the structures and carvings at the entrance, and the red paint on a tiny portion of it and then inside, among some of the broken musical pillars I’d seen a brand new pillar being made- one with fresh cement.  The whole idea of restoration and renovation was really interesting to me. I’d also gone to a picture gallery near the Monolithic Bull where pictures of Hampi taken 50 years apart told a story of how the place changed with time. I wanted to find out if the buildings had been restored completely. But also, I had to know who conducted this restoration and how the people receive this process.  

So, I decided to go to the ASI Museum of Hampi. 

The museum was 2km away from Hampi via auto, so we haggled and managed to get one. I also had another agenda on this day. I had decided I'd waited enough. I now needed information that went beyond my own observations or anything that could be read. I had to actually talk to people and ask questions- unabashedly. 

The driver of the auto, Narsimha, was my first interviewee. I found out he'd lived in Hampi all his life. Slowly, question after question, he told me a story of displacement, of a system that gained control of a region and caused several changes. The most disturbing thing he told me was how the residents and shopkeepers had only been given a day’s notice before demolishing their houses.

I reached the museum and collected a lot of information about the history of Hampi, and its pillars and its carvings. But after looking through all the exhibits I still wasn't satisfied- i wanted more. So we asked to talk to the Superintending Archaeologist who was a part of the restoration process of the Archaeological Survey of India. 

He talked at length about how the ASI had, since 200 years worked on restoring sights all over India- how the British had simple attempted to keep the buildings upright by adding pillars and columns- but later the ASI had made conducted several restorations. 



It was, at that point to me when some of the grandeur of the structures was lost- to know that they were broken pieces, simply put back together by a foreign body, artificial and alien to that time and dynasty.

He then told me how the UNESCO had come in and stopped some of their restorations in their tracks, because it made the structures look less like ruins and too perfect- which was NOT what the people and the tourists came to see. 

Somehow, that angered me. It was as if they were imposing, forcing our supposed ignorance upon us. The buildings now to me seemed to be not much more than trinkets and props to woo the people and spark their fancies and their imaginations. 



In an attempt to feel better about the whole situation, I thought I’d go around the Hampi Bazaar and do some touristy shopping. I looked at the shops, yet I couldn’t help but overhear some of the conversations of the shopkeeper and the tourists from abroad. To me it all sounded like the shopkeepers, in their overly convincing whispers were laying tricks and traps for the unsuspecting shoppers and their vulnerability of being new to this land. Some stories I heard about incidents that had happened simple disheartened me further.

I got into conversation with two women from a spices stall- they spoke in Gujarati, the familiar language of my home town, and emboldened by this fact, we got to talking. They told us about how, after ­­the earthquake in Gujarat, they lost all their belongings and, not having received a share in the ancestral land and property, they decided to come to Hampi, where they set up a shop in the Hampi Bazaar. But, even as they came here, they were displaced and not properly rehabilitated or given commercial land. They even mentioned their regular uncertainty- there was talk of the current ‘Hampi Bazaar’ as it was, being demolished in the near future. There were tears in the woman’s eyes as she told ­her story.

By this point, I was utterly disheartened. I felt like I simply could not look at the buildings anymore. What added salt to the wound was a 10 year old boy running up and down the hot stone slabs and hills with a huge tea thermos, begging us to buy some. I was no fan of tea, but after every single one of us declined, and he looked beseechingly at us for the last time, I gave in and decided to take a shot at tea. I surprisingly enjoyed it and became a fan of tea thereafter; yet the tea only made my day infinitesimally better.

In the evening, we stayed back in Hampi and attended a grand concert in one of the ancient monuments, of the band ‘Prem and Joshua’. The concert was quite extravagant, and as a prequel to the main band, there was a group which performed a very catchy song called ‘Happy Hampi’ but the only thing I could think of was how all this was superficial and pandering to the demand and self-righteous fascination of people for ‘heritage’ and ‘culture’, and how heartless this disregard for the lives of the inhabitants and shopkeepers was.

 I went back to the hotel, quite upset. But after some discussion with our class and facilitators, I realized that as a student of art and design, the only thing I can do after this in-depth understanding of a situation is to, with objectivity; place a mirror in front of this this rather than to be driven by my own emotions. That this stage of understanding was necessary, as was accepting of the reality- only after that would I be able to present it with justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment