Thursday 29 December 2016

Picking up the Quirks of Anegundi

In the duration of my visit to Aneguddi, (half a day) there were merely some of it's quirks that I could pick up upon. Not having been able to explore it deeper, I suppose I have what you might call a superficial understanding of it. Yet I did pick up on little things that caught my eye, and that in itself tells a story about me, and my perception of the place.
 From within the yellow pillared darkness of the first temple we visited emerged this child, offering us kum-kum, (or teeka) and running like the wind to fetch us pretty purple flowers, and spouting obviously fabricated facts about the temples and their deities. We warmly offered him biscuits for all his adorable eagerness- but he graciously declined and asked for something else...
The child in the temple wanted nothing other than a PENCIL for his eager assistance!

I spent most of my time there relishing the beauty of tiny things- 
In the pile of diyas in the hidden hind side of a temple, or the white Parijat flowers spread out on the ground
I picked up some of the little trinkets I found lying around the temple floors
The broken doors and tattered staircases of the ruins


The beautiful river Tungabhadra and the massive boulders that flanked it and all the land the eye could see, or the noise of water as we floated in a boat across the water in order to get to a temple on the other side. 




An authentic south indian meal on a banana leaf later,and hop and a skip onto some delightful autos away, we got back to the hotel to rest our heads.

I wish I had been able to revisit Annegudi and dig deeper. But alas I knew in my heart, Hampi was calling me

No comments:

Post a Comment